Thursday, December 11, 2008

Chapter Two

Breeng!
I love the sound the door makes when I walk into the Cafe! Ha ha ha this might bug Nikki but oh well!
Breeng! Breeng! Breeng!
"Cary, what in the world are you doing?! It's six-thirty in the morning! Loud noises are a definite no no!" she grinned ruefully as she looked over my attire. "Who are we today? Housewife meets eclectic hippie??"
I pranced around modeling my getup.
"No actually I prefer to think of it as the colors of my soul. Ha ha I'm just kidding. Actually its just what I had that was clean. Mom said that since I'm the big two zero I should stop bringing my laundry home on the weekends. Maybe she'll see me wearing this and have some pity on me."
"You're such a wack-job. Go upstairs to my place and put something decent on."
As I started up the stairs I heard her yell after me-
"And do something with that hair!"
"Fine!" I threw back," Only if you'll make me a strong cup of coffee! You know how I like it!"

Approximately fifteen minutes later, after much yawning, screaming, and curling, I was looking presentable.
"Tada!"
"Marvelous, dah-ling, simply marvelous!"
Nikki tossed an apron my way as I set to work arranging the chairs properly. After we got pretty much everything down and ready for business, I decided it was time. Okay here it goes. Maybe I can get some more info out of Nikki.
"So Nikki, I was wondering."
"Yeah?"
"Well, I was thinking about Liam...and I was wondering if you had any idea who he was thinking of asking out."
"Oh. Um, I have a hunch."
"And that would be..."
"Uh-Uh. Not telling!"
"Aw come on! Pleeeease?"
With a quick shake of her head, Nikki responded, "If you're so desperate to know, just ask him your self. Here's your chance!"
I whirled around coming face to face with none other than Liam himself...and Alex...and Ryan...and Ralphy...and Lisa.
"Jeez Louise, its the whole crew. What are you guys doing up so early on this spectacular day God's graced us with?"
"Ha ha, we decided last night that we'd give you two a surprise visit!" Ryan cheerfully informed us. Aw I love my friends!
"Thanks! What would I do without you guys?"
"Probably be the town's local cat lady. But that's okay, we're here so you have nothing to worry about!"
Liam would say that. Freak. Just kidding....sorta.
"Okay settle down children. Can I get you guys something to drink?" Nikki offered.
Always the mother hen of the group, Lisa quickly said, "How about decaf? You know caffeinated isn't good for you!"
"Um, sure Lisa, just for you."
With an inconspicuous roll of her eyes, Nikki fired up the economy sized coffee maker.
"I'll put some cinnamon rolls in the oven! Hey boys, make yourselves useful and start up the fireplace would you?"
Ha ha, bossing them around always gives me a sense of accomplishment. I'm sure they'd get me later though!
"And Liam, when you get a chance, could I ask you a quick question?"
"Sure thing, Worm!"

PAUSE.
Despite what you may think, he's actually not being mean right there, that's a nickname that dates back to first grade. You see, as avid of a reader as I am now, it wasn't always that way. I used to read just plain awful! After about six months of extensive tutoring I found a love for reading that is unexplainable. Pretty soon my parents were using reading as a privilege, not a grounding technique. I was then dubbed Princess Bookworm by Liam. Worm, for short.
PLAY.

**more to come on this chapter**

No comments:

Post a Comment